Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

2 data inputs. How to map {Last Name, First Name} to {First Name Last Name}

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I am trying to find replace to append fields. I am trying to find the correct configuration with find replace tool.. maybe data manipluation has to be done before find replace tool?

FIND INPUTREPLACE INPUT
Stevens, LouisLouis Stevens
Stevens, Louis JLouis Stevens
Stevens, Louis (he/his/him)Louis Stevens

How can i successfully map these over to append fields to the data?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@wonka1234 I used a RegEx tool to parse out the values in "FIND INPUT" and FirstName and LastName, then used a Formula tool to concatenate those fields with a space in between to create the full name in REPLACE INPUT. If you're trying to identify patterns, I suggest taking a look at www.regex101.com. It's super helpful and intuitive.

Parse out name.PNG

Concat Name.PNG

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@Prometheus thank this works! i forgot another scenario..

Stevens Sal, Louis John (he/him/his)  --> Louis Stevens

Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@wonka1234 Change the expression in the RegEx tool to this and you should be good to go: (^[A-Za-z]+)\s*.*\,\s([A-Za-z]+)

Everything in parentheses becomes its own field, so between ")" and "(" I just had to add the possibility of a space occurring before the comma zero to infinity times (\s*), and any other characters after that space and before the comma from zero to infinity times (.*).

PassION_es
9 - Comet

hi @Prometheus , I have the same scenario with @wonka1234  but in my case the input is all capital letters (SUAR,JOCEL PILAPIL) no spaces in between comma and I need the "PILAPIL" to be in the Middlename column.  Thanks in advance

Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@PassION_es I like to use www.regex101.com to help me with my regular expressions. You'll find it's easy to learn when you use it all the time. I used this expression to parse out your data into three columns (Last, First, and Middle): ^([A-Z]+),([A-Z]+)\s([A-Z]+). Please see the attached workflow. Thanks

PassION_es
9 - Comet

Thank you @Prometheus 

Labels