Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Compare two data sets & highlight the difference

viral_gada
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am quite new to Alteryx.

I need to compare 2 datasets with same headers & also have a unique ID column which is same in both the files.

I require all the records in the output file with the changes highlighted in single color.

I have attached sample file with expected output tab as well.

Note: In sample file I have included few columns but actually I have 42 columns.

Can someone please guide me here. Thanks in advance !

13 REPLIES 13
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @viral_gada ,

We're not using Excel here so we wouldn't be colouring cells, but I've quickly put together a workflow to show you how to do comparisons of this nature.

I've essentially transposed the data and brought the two sources together to compare the like for like values. I've then provided a simple formula which replaces the Source A value with the Source B value and marked the column that had the difference.

mceleavey_0-1677164445954.png

mceleavey_1-1677164471988.png

Workflow attached.

I hope this helps.

M.

Bulien

viral_gada
7 - Meteor

Thank you @mceleavey  for the quick response.

I feel you resolved most of the part of what I was expecting.

I request if you could make below additional changes in the workflow & reshare the workflow, that would be great !

I need the output file same as the input file as the current output is adding more number of rows.

The data need not change ex: In check column, apart from same records, i see the value of A-Value has changed. I am attached the screenshot for the same.

I am happy to see the new column check & in that I can see what the changes was made in file B. (consider file A as a base file)

Once again Thank you for all your help here !

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @viral_gada ,

In your original post you are showing the output changing to version B, are you saying you don't want that?

I have amended this to show the original A input values and the mis-matched B input values.

I would advise having a look at the following resources which should help you understand the functionality of the Transpose and Crosstab tools:

https://help.alteryx.com/20223/designer/transpose-tool#:~:text=The%20Transpose%20tool%20is%20the,fie....

https://help.alteryx.com/20223/designer/cross-tab-tool

These should get you started on how to apply this functionality.

I've attached the latest workflow.

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@viral_gada ,

Also, if you want me to show you how this works, DM me and I'm happy to jump on a call to explain.

M.

Bulien

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Here you go @viral_gada 

This should be adaptive to incremental dynamic columns.

Please mark it as a solution if it works for you. Cheers!

RobertOdera_0-1677167952793.png

viral_gada
7 - Meteor

Thank you for your time & assistance !

The workflow you provided is good & it's helping me.  Thanks a lot.. @mceleavey 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

no problem.gif

Bulien

viral_gada
7 - Meteor

Happy @RobertOdera  for taking time.

The workflow shared by @mceleavey helped me to resolve my issue. 

Thanks for your suggestion !

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Sure thing, @viral_gada 

Glad you were taken care of!

Labels