Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Email tool SMTP settings are not visible

bradtukey
7 - Meteor

Please see attached screenshot. I can't view SMTP settings in the email tool, even though I am getting an error asking me to update them. What am I missing?

17 REPLIES 17
vizwithdan
8 - Asteroid

Hi Brad,

This could be an issue with the email address you are using to send from. A while ago Alteryx changed the tool and it won't auto-detect the SMTP path for security reasons. Try a real email address and see how you get on. 
It basically doesn't provide a way to authenticate your sender account credentials. It may be possible if you configure an IP-based authentication.

Thanks

bradtukey
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the reply. I only changed the email address for the screehshot, for confidentiality reasons. I was using a valid address when I got the error. 

vizwithdan
8 - Asteroid

It may be a case of Alteryx having a moment and you need to re-set up the connection. What happens when you click on 'Set up a connection?'

bradtukey
7 - Meteor

When I click on "set up a connection". It opens up the connection window (see attached). But, for this workflow I'm using an Excel sheet as the data source, saved to my local machine. I don't need to connect to any external data sources for this workflow. I have also tried rebooting Alteryx and closing and re-opening the workflow. I have also deleted and used a new Email tool. 

vizwithdan
8 - Asteroid

Hi Brad, 

Have you tried setting up the connection again?

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@bradtukey you can see the SMTP settings when you deselect "Use Data Connection Manager":

i.e:
1.png2.png

Can you open up a new canvas and test this please.

If that works, you may need to consider replacing your existing tool on the workflow with a fresh one and reconfiguring if you can't see the DCM option.

All the best,

BS

bradtukey
7 - Meteor

Hi. Thank you for the reply. However, even when I open a new canvas and insert a new email tool, I can't see the checkbox for "Use Data Connection Manager". See attached. 

vizwithdan
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Brad,

Are you trying to use an Excel sheet from within an email as a data source?
If that is the case, you can't do that and would need to download the Excel file and connect directly to the Excel file.

Thanks
Danny

bradtukey
7 - Meteor

Hi. I am using an Excel file that is saved to my local machine, not from within an email. 

Labels