General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2023 Day 2 (BaseA Style)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Spoiler

Discussion thread for day 2 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2023/day/2

65 REPLIES 65
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Very similar to others

Spoiler
image.png
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Tool golf version. 9 tools excluding input tool.

Spoiler
image.png
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Easier than day 1 and I'm still in it...

Spoiler
Screenshot 2023-12-02 115329.png
A straightforward parsing process to begin with. I used text to columns to isolate the Game ID, then split to rows on the game phase. I then used a multi-row to assign a phase number, then I used text to columns and regex to strip out the bits I needed. 
For part one, it was then a matter of cross-tabbing into an aggregate set by Game and phase, then stripping out the actual numeric value of the game. I then used a filter to isolate those that did not violate the limits, then used the join to join those game numbers that had a violation, so I took the ones on the left output, those being the ones that did not exceed the limits, then simply summed the game numbers.
Part two was a simple grouping, then applying the multi-row power calculation (grouped by game ID), then taking the max of those and summing the total.

Go #TeamMcEleavey!

Bulien

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I was looking for the sneaky trick in part 2 but was pleasantly surprised that there was none.

Today was a good day to get things like setting up a GIT repo; making a donation to AOC to get that ++ tag etc.

Spoiler

2023-12-02_07-49-11.png

This solution is 2 parts:
- the parser (the brush icon) cleans up the data to the shape we need it to start doing the job
- then we can start doing the calc
- and on the end you'll see the test harness that keeps me honest as I try different things.

Here's the parser - super rudimentary:
Screenshot 2023-12-02 075116.png

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

thank you for continuing to point out where we can experiment with new features @NicoleJ  - it really does help to highlight these new capabilities and give folk muscle-memory to try them.

I'm sure you're looking out for opportunities for the Control Containers to shine!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

good on you for dual-solving in Designer Cloud @AkimasaKajitani !

rachel_k
Alteryx
Alteryx

Similar approach to others.  After yesterday, I felt like I had to check for any unexpected colors

Spoiler
day2.png
mmontgomery
11 - Bolide

W00t on the problem being very procedural!

Spoiler
Day2.png
Samantha_Jayne
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Day 2.png

Oh my goodness part 1 was a bit of a head twister with everything you have to check. Loved that part two was an easier one to solve. Will have a go at removing all the unnecessary tools I used later. Busy day. But glad I solved another day. Whoop.

Samantha Clifton
Alteryx
#alteryxrocks
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks! @SeanAdams  I think that we can solve the AoC with Designer Cloud until we need the Generate Row or Multi-Row Formula tool.

Labels