General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Blank Column Error Message

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

Hi Everyone, 

I want my workflow to display an error message and stop without completing the workflow or generating an output.  Is this possible?  Essentially I have a standard Excel input file that is feed into the workflow.  However, the user must fill in two columns that are blank in the input file.  Therefore, if the user has not filled in those columns and they remain blank when the user attempts to run the workflow I want there to be an error and no processing of the data.  That way the user has to fill them in prior to obtaining an output from the workflow. 

Thanks in advance for the help!

2 REPLIES 2
AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

I'm not sure exactly what context this is to be applied in, but have you tried the Message Tool? To use this Tool, you would need to sort the data on both required columns so that any missed values are in the first row, otherwise prior data will be passed through.

Screenshot.png

This should work for you although it might need some tailoring depending on your specific use case.

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

Alternatively, you could use the summarize tool to count null records, append that count to the original data, filter on that count and send records for processing only if null count is 0. Here is a sample workflow that showcases both methods.

_Screenshot.png

Labels