Welcome to the new SparkED Group Hub. Before you get started, check out our new program overview video

dianeletulle
Alteryx
Alteryx

singapore.jpeg

The applications of Alteryx are far reaching and can often be applied to further the greater good. That’s what happened when students from Singapore University of Social Sciences decided to focus on the Food Bank as part of their Community Engagement Project.

Singapore University of Social Sciences requires that undergraduates complete a Community Engagement project prior to graduation. The projects should be in service of a community partner, and students are measured on the impact created and the level of commitment shown.

Tan Sian Yin, Ariel Wang Xiao Wen, and Amberly Tan Jia Li, who are Business Analytics undergrads, choose to work with the Food Bank.  Sian Yin states, “My interest in helping the Food Bank stemmed from a shared commitment to address the essential issue of food accessibility and to apply our analytical skills for social good. We were motivated by the opportunity to make a tangible difference in the community by optimizing Food Bank Singapore's operations.”  Ariel added, “This initiative represents not just an opportunity to apply my skills but also to contribute meaningfully to society and drive positive change.”

Amberly noted, “Since this project is in collaboration with Alteryx, a leading data analytics platform, I was excited about the chance to work with cutting-edge tools and technologies to tackle meaningful challenges. Overall, the prospect of combining my skills in data analytics with the opportunity to make a difference in addressing food insecurity through collaboration with the Food Bank and Alteryx was what drove my interest in participating in this project.”

The group analyzed vending machine transaction data for Food Bank cardholders. Amberly explains part of the analysis that the group conducted: “At the Food Bank, I addressed a data challenge concerning the F&B redemptions of their bank card holders. This involved conducting a thorough analysis to discern trends in their redemption behaviors. Firstly, I investigated whether their cardholders tended to redeem meals near their home addresses, providing valuable insights into their preferences and habits. Additionally, I analyzed the average cost of meals redeemed at specific F&B outlets, identifying patterns that could inform future strategies. By pinpointing popular F&B outlets among our cardholders, I facilitated targeted collaborations and promotions to maximize impact. Furthermore, I determined peak periods of redemptions, distinguishing between the first and second halves of the month, which aided in resource allocation and operational planning. Overall, this data-driven approach allowed for a deeper understanding of our cardholders' behavior and informed strategic decisions to optimize our services at the Food Bank.”

Sian Yin and Ariel worked on vending machine transaction analysis. Ariel explained: “The Food Bank required insights into the usage of their vending machines and transactions made with food bank cards at partner Food Bank outlets. Our team utilized the provided data and Alteryx software to create data visualizations and offer insights produced from the data visualization results. This analysis will assist the Food Bank in making informed decisions to better support their beneficiaries.” Sian Yin added, “The primary problem we tackled was determining the effectiveness and accessibility of the vending machines. By delving into usage patterns, frequency of transactions, and geographical data points, we aimed to understand whether the machines were optimally placed to serve the needs of the community effectively.”

The team had access to Alteryx Designer licenses through the SparkED analytics education program. Sian Yin stated, “Using Alteryx was transformative for our project; it allowed us to sift through complex data sets with ease and efficiency. The tool's robust capabilities in data cleaning and analysis empowered us to extract actionable insights that were critical in addressing the Food Bank’s challenges.” Amberly felt that “Alteryx's robust data processing capabilities streamlined the analysis process, enabling us to conduct a thorough examination of redemption behaviors efficiently.”

workflow.png

Sian Yin noted that the team appreciated their access to the SparkED analytics education program: “My team and I feel positively about the SparkED program because it has been incredibly informative. Through the program, we gained a deeper understanding of how to effectively utilize Alteryx software for data analysis and processing tasks. The program offered comprehensive training modules and resources that covered various aspects of Alteryx, from basic functionalities to more advanced features. This enabled us to enhance our proficiency with the software and discover new techniques for optimizing our data analysis workflows.” He added, “Overall, the SparkED program not only equipped us with technical skills but also inspired us to explore innovative ways of leveraging Alteryx to improve our data analysis processes.”  Ariel added, “Working with Alteryx has not only expanded my technical skill set but also honed my critical thinking abilities. It has enabled me to navigate complex workflows and achieve desired outcomes efficiently, even without prior experience.”  Amberly felt that, “The SparkED program further enhanced our proficiency with Alteryx, empowering us to effectively tackle data challenges and drive positive change.”

Upon completion of their work, they were encouraged that Food Bank Singapore appreciated the insights they provided. The group’s efforts helped the organization to strategize their operations and make informed decisions to enhance service delivery and resource distribution.