Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.
SOLVED

Lab 3 bonus challenge

Michel_Dias
7 - Meteor

Hi, I have used a different notation using `{delim}` in the delimiter field and reached 14 different campsites, needing 13 delimiters in total. I checked the values of the biggest list and it looks plausible, can you please confirm if the correct is 13 or 11 delimiters?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Michel,

Great question! I'm assuming you're keeping the other fields, ie. splitting before `{alpha}`? I tried with just splitting on `{delim}` and I do see that there are more columns, but I think in this scenario, it's adding some extra splits where it probably doesn't need to. For example, it's splitting this NE Face into 2 campsites.

That being said, it's certainly possible that there are more than 11 splits as we haven't verified every row. That's the fun challenge when working with these manually recorded entries - you never know what pattern could make this even cleaner!

Michel_Dias
7 - Meteor

Hi Luo, thanks for the explanation! I was trying to find a way to correctly split the line 39 of the dataset, where I found a ";" separator between Smt and C3W, the only way it worked was using the following notation in separator and using 12 splits: `,|; ` - does it makes sense?

Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yup, that makes sense. It looks like the data was even dirtier than we originally thought. There are a few odd delimiters floating around in the rows and using the | separator to specify the explicit delimiters is a safe bet.