Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.
SOLVED

have problems when use case conditions

WuCong
8 - Asteroid

I have a raw data like below then I create a flag,got the error result.

case([ECSTDAT2 < v10_RETAMT_DADAT3 && ECENDAT2 < v10_RETAMT_DADAT3, DATEDIF(ECSTDAT2, ECENDAT2, day) * ECDOSE2, 0]),it confused me .

5 REPLIES 5
WuCong
8 - Asteroid

the right result should be 0,38,0,38. so why I got the wrong expected result .

WuCong
8 - Asteroid

and sometimes ,I can get the right result use case like this

ApekshaP
7 - Meteor

Hi Wu Cong,

The case condition is giving 0 means the comparison and AND condition are not true. All the columns seem to be date data type. You can explicitly try to set the date format. There are 2 ways:

1. Change the date datatype : DATEFORMAT(ECSTDAT2, 'dd MMM yyyy')
  2. case([DATEFORMAT(ECSTDAT2, 'dd MMM yyyy') < DATEFORMAT(v10_RETAMT_DADAT3, 'dd MMM yyyy') && DATEFORMAT(ECENDAT2, 'dd MMM yyyy') < DATEFORMAT(v10_RETAMT_DADAT3, 'dd MMM yyyy'), DATEDIF(ECSTDAT2, ECENDAT2, day) * ECDOSE2, 0])

There are UNIXTIMEFORMAT and DATEFORMAT functions you can try to see which one leads to the correct answer.

Tip: disintegrate your condition into single steps to find out which AND condition is not giving the correct result. Hope this helps.

Take care and stay safe,

Apeksha

WuCong
8 - Asteroid

is there any difference to use in case and if ??

ApekshaP
7 - Meteor

Both are conditional statements with no difference in terms of functionality. When you have a nested condition, then the Case on custom condition (transform) or CASE function makes it easy to follow compared to Nest IF function.