Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.

How can I specify a kms key for a flow to use when publishing results to s3. I want to be able to publish to s3 buckets in two AWS accounts (which require different kms keys) within the same trifacta account.

TrifactaUsers
10 - Fireball

4 REPLIES 4
JWang_Tri
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Remi,

Assuming you're in the Trifacta Cloud edition of the product, there are two ways that you can connect to your s3 buckets:

Setup: you'll need to first double check that you have S3 enabled in your workspace settings. To do so:

1. Visit Admin console > Workspace settings (or use https://cloud.trifacta.com/admin?section=workspace-admin)
  2. Under Connectivity, find "Enable S3 connectivity" and make sure the value is set to true

Connect to S3: there are two types of S3 connections that you can make:

1. "Amazon S3" is a connection that you can make which is then accessible to your entire workspace, in other words it is at a workspace-level (i.e. other members in the same workspace can also access the same S3 resources as you). You can only have one of these workspace-level connections per workspace.
  2. "External Amazon S3" is a connection that you can make which is only accessible to you, in other words it is at user-level (unless you share the connection with others, but you'll have to manually specify that). You can have multiple connections of this type. Some users will add an additional "External Amazon S3" connection to their "Amazon S3" connection in order to get access to two S3 locations.

For the first account, you can use the guided setup form from "Amazon S3" to connect to your account using your kms key. Or you could use the "External Amazon S3" form to connect to your account. For the second account, you can use another "External Amazon S3" connection to connect to that account.

Here are two more resources that could help you with setting up connections using either of those connection options:

1. https://docs.trifacta.com/display/AWS/Amazon+S3+Connections
  2. https://docs.trifacta.com/display/AWS/External+S3+Connections

At this point, when you go to the connections page, you should see both S3 connections in the left-side nav bar.

To answer your question, once you have two S3 connections created, you can now publish to two separate S3 buckets:

1. Go back to your flow, and click on the output object
  2. Click on the "Run" button in the output panel
  3. You will be directed to a settings page, this is where you can specify where you publish your output. Click on "Edit"
  4. You'll be taken to a page where you can select which connection you want to publish to, choose your specific location in the bucket, and specify whether you want to create a new file or replace an existing file in that location.
  5. Repeat with the other flow using the second account that you wanted to publish to.

TrifactaUsers
10 - Fireball

Hi Jenny, thanks for your response, we're actually using Trifacta Wrangler Enterprise edition v8.2.1 so I'm not sure if this will have the same functionality to allow setting up multiple external s3 connections in the way you've suggested. When I try to add s3 connection I only have the import only s3 option. Thanks, Remi

umaidk
8 - Asteroid

Good question

?

umaidk
8 - Asteroid

Good question ?