Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.
SOLVED

How to count values between two dates or times?

JakubU
5 - Atom

I have a data set of dates and times when employees clock into and out of a job - each row of data has a clock_in and clock_out column containing a date & time.

I’d like to count how many people were “on the clock” throughout the day, in 15-minute increments, e.g., “5 people were on the clock at some point between 8:00 and 8:15.” “On the clock” means clock_in is at or before the end point of the bin (e.g., 8:15 or earlier) and clock_out was at or after the start point of the bin (e.g., 8:00 or later). Of course clock_out > clock_in. Then I’d like to count this for each 15-min bin.

I can get counts of each combination of clock_in and clock_out rounded to :00, :15, :30, or :45. But I’m stuck on how to aggregate this. In essence I’m looking for a “Group By” where the row headers are fixed bins, i.e., 8:00, 8:15, 8:30, etc, and the values are COUNTIF(clock_in is within the 15-min range or earlier and clock_out is within the range or later)

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
JakubU
5 - Atom

I found the answer - very similar to this, with few minor differences:

• In Step 1, instead of DATEDIF, use analogous calculation on hours & minutes
  • In Step 2, instead of starting the RANGE at 0, start it at the bin corresponding to clock_in time

If someone has a more efficient way to do this, I'd love to hear it, but it does the trick for now!