Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.

how to change date format to proper format

WuCong
8 - Asteroid

I have one date format like below sreenshot,I want to change the green part to dd like 03 04 ,dd has two characters ,how can I get the result shoot

2 REPLIES 2
APrasad_Tri
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Wu,

Use the function DATEFORMAT(Column_name, 'dd.MMM.yyyy').

Best,

Apeksha

AMiller_Tri
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @wu cong? , thank you for your question =]

As @Apeksha Prasad? has mentioned, you can use the DATEFORMAT() function, which converts a DateTime into a custom format.

By using what she had written, you will get the following:

As you can see, the day element of the date has now become 'dd', meaning it is being represented by 2 digits.

However, if you'd like the separator between the date elements to remain a space (as is in your original example) as opposed to a dot, you can simply replace the dots in the format with a space:

• Note that a pink circle in Trifacta denotes a space - so nothing is invisible!

Alternative way #1 - using the transform variation

You can also use the 'date format' transform (instead of the DATEFORMAT() function).

• The transform variation eliminates the need to write the function name itself.
    • However, you can't nest a transform inside another transform\function
  • Notice that we've used the "Custom format" option, as your desired date format isn't on the list.

alternative way #2 - using Trifacta patterns

While a bit more complicated, patterns can get us out of many sticky situations; this is one of them.

We can ask to replace any single digit at the beginning of the field with a zero, followed by that digit:

• {start} - denotes the beginning of the field
  • {digit} - any given digit (0-9)

We then put parenthesis around the digit (including the following space) to be used as a capture group (see doc here).

In the 'replace with' field, we put zero, followed by '$1', which references the first capture group.

Alternative way #3 - transform by example

You can choose the "create column from example" option from the drop-down list of the column:

Then, in the window that opens - guide Trifacta to your desired date format. For example - add a zero before one of the "lonely digits", and write the rest of the date as is:

Once you hit Enter, Trifacta will use that suggestion and change the other values accordingly:

That's it.

I hope that makes sense; please feel free to ask any additional questions.

Thanks,

Amit.