Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.

concatenate fields with out the the seperate singal in end or start.

WuCong
8 - Asteroid

as you can see ,I want to merge the green fields to blue ,while I do not want the red in start or end.

5 REPLIES 5
APrasad_Tri
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Wu,

Do you want / as the separator in the merge function?

Best,

Apeksha

WuCong
8 - Asteroid

yes ,I want /, for example

1) A is hello ,B is world .the result is expected hello/world

2) A is hello ,B is empty ,the result is expected hello

3) A is empty ,B is world ,the result is world.

APrasad_Tri
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Wu,

You can use the Replace feature and use `{delim}{end}|{start}{delim}` in the find section. If there is a possibility of different kinds of delimiters present in the data and you specifically want to remove the Merge Separator then use `/{end}|{start}/` in the find section as shown in the screenshot.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Apeksha

WuCong
8 - Asteroid

thanks ,when I need to merge mulitple fields by sperate ;, and some fields are empty ,how can we get the result when the fields are empty I will do not merge them.

?

A:A01 B :empty C?C01 D :D01 result: A01;C01;D01

A:A01 B :empty C?empty D :D01 result: A01;D01

how can I get the result?

APrasad_Tri
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @wu cong?,

With help of the Replace transform, you can remove the empty fields after merge. 2nd approach is to use Unpivot and Pivot transforms to delete the column with no values. This 2nd approach might create performance issues depending on the number of columns and rows included in the data.

Please check the below link for detailed information on the approaches.

https://community.trifacta.com/s/question/0D53j000081h9kKCAQ/how-can-i-merge-serval-fields-by-some-signal-and-skip-the-empty-fields

Hope this helps.

Best,

Apeksha Prasad