Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.

Splitting Columns after first word?

Hello! I am new to the platform so excuse my novice - level question. I have a name column that I need to split into First Name, Last Name columns. Some of my names are De La Cruz or have a Jr./Sr. How can I split into just two columns? I am more concerned about extracting the first name into its own column and leaving the rest of the persons name in the other.

Thanks for helping!

1 REPLY 1
APrasad_Tri
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @kechi Murphee? ,

The column name can be split into 2 depending on how you brush over the text.

For e.g.

When you brush the first set of characters before a space, it will provide you suggestions to split, extract etc. You can choose extract to fetch the First name. If you brush over the space, the suggestions will be different

If you brush over the end of the character set, the suggestions will be different

Depending upon the requirement, you can prefer to split the columns or extract the values and delete the old columns. You might need to use a few Replace steps to clean up the data.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, please feel free to provide us with sample data and we can provide a more exact solution.

Best,

Apeksha.