Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.
SOLVED

All attempted samples are being stopped. I look at the logs and they stop after ingesting the first row, then do not continue to take the sample (from Azure SQL). What might cause this and how do I troubleshoot

TrifactaUsers
10 - Fireball

5 REPLIES 5
Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Chris Whitehead?,

Do you mean that sampling is stuck at 1%, as in the other thread here?

https://community.trifacta.com/s/question/0D53j00006Nj1yDCAR/freezing-when-trying-to-load-data-no-ma...

(Whether or no, the same recommendations hold!)

Hope this helps,

Nathanael

TrifactaUsers
10 - Fireball

Thanks for you response. This is a little bit different. Instead of hanging at 1%, I get this error message (see image). When I look at the logs, I see two queries happening. The first is a select top 1 * from (my query) in order to define the schema, the second defines the stream (custom SQL query in full). The logs say the query executes, but the TrafactaInputStream closes after reading only 1 record. There's no error in the data-service log. The stream just closes. In the job-metadata-service log I do see that there's a request to fail job # with error message; null, but a null error message doesn't tell me what to do, so I'm not sure how to trouble shoot this. I'm not seeing the error on the SQL side, although it looks like the connection is successful, but Trifacata isn't closing it's cursors. (I can't tell for sure, still troubleshooting), but this is leaving me with suspended queries, with no blockers. Again, not positive...just guessing at this point. I'll be setting up some xevents today to monitor and try and get more information. It would just be really helpful to understand what is happening from the Trifacta side, as a null error message is difficult to interpret.

TrifactaUsers
10 - Fireball

Oh, I forgot to add, I did log out, hard refresh then log back in just in case, and I was able to reproduce the issue after clearing cache.

TrifactaUsers
10 - Fireball

Looking into it a bit more, I'm seeing multiple connections left open in the SQL db from Trifacta. The query is suspended and has an ASYNC_NETWORK_IO wait. I'm guessing that what's happening from the sql end is trifacta stops the stream for some reason (possibly a timeout although it's less than 1 to two seconds after it initiates) and doesn't log why, then SQL gets stuck waiting for a response, but Trifacta has closed it's attempt, without closing the cursor? This might be a bit much for the forums. It's probably related to an underpowered SQL instance hosted in US and our Trifacta instance hosted in EU. I'll see if I can log a support ticket somewhere.

Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Chris Whitehead?,

That indeed sounds like a good next step. Please send an email to support@trifacta.com and include the following info:

• The Trifacta edition (e.g., sounds like Enterprise, but could be a Pro (i.e., Cloud SaaS) instance)
  • The full Trifacta version (i.e., click Settings => About Trifacta if <6.8, or Help => About Trifacta if 6.8+)
  • A link back to this topic, for context

Cheers!

-Nathanael