Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.
SOLVED

Assuming I have 3 missing values in a column. I need to change each one to a different value, that requires judgement. How do I just edit the given cell and change that particular value?

ald
8 - Asteroid

3 REPLIES 3
Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi, Andrew--

Cell editing is not supported in free Wrangler. Is it possible to do some pattern-based scanning of other fields to determine the value that requires insertion?

e.g. IF myHeight > 72 AND myWeight < 180 THEN health = "Good job!"

Cheers,

-SteveO

Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey Andrew,

Trifacta differs from spreadsheet tools in that it relies on rule based operations to prep data. Leaving out the ability to edit single cells was intentional, as it is important in a data preparation process to not change the core contents of the data without lineage and a set of rules to do so.

With that said, you can come up with rules to change the contents of a single cell. I'll give a few examples here.

One, is creating a column with the source datas' row number, and then use that row number to change an empty cell's data:

You could also fill in the missing values with information from other columns (ignore the fact that this one makes no sense in the context of the data 😀):

Lastly, you can fill in missing values with other information within that column:

Trifacta has a lot of flexibility with how you address these issues, but the key is that it has to follow a set of rules. If the goal is to create a new dataset than Trifacta is not the best platform for that.

I hope this helps!

David

ald
8 - Asteroid

Thank you