Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.
SOLVED

I want to group a list of URLs

TrifactaUsers
10 - Fireball

I am trying to group a list of URL based on their string values.

I want to group them into 5 clusters plus an additional cluster, where all the URLs that doesn’t match the criteria for any of the 5 buckets should be added.

I have been trying different functions including MATCH (which seems to work, but only for a single case) and the learn by example feature.

CASE on a single column seems to be the right function for the job, but I am having trouble making it work.

I have the following URLS

/XXX

/XXX/y

/XXX/x

/XXX/z/1

/XXX/z/2

I want them all grouped in a cluster named XXX, but I am having trouble getting the syntax right.

If I write “/XXX” n the “Value to compare” field dataprep finds the first of the above URL. I have tried to ad different wildcard characters at the end, but it seems like I only can find exact matches.

Its probably me having trouble getting the syntax right. I would greatly appreciate any help

5 REPLIES 5
Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @S R?  you can use MATCHES function to create a flagged column with 2nd parameter as a Trifacta pattern `/XXX`.

In case of case-conditions on single column you can put only exact matches eg: string literals.

But if you use case on multiple conditions, you can put condition as MATCHES(column1, `/XXX`) and value as 'XXX'

Best,

Vardan

TrifactaUsers
10 - Fireball

Hi @Vardan Negi? 

Thanks a lot. The multiple case conditions does the job., but raises an additional question :)

For one of the other URL groupings I need an exact match. Where I need match URLs that is exactly "/". Can I use "matches" for that? I tried using the exact function, but I can't make it work

Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@S R? this should work MATCHES(column1, `{start}/{end}`)

TrifactaUsers
10 - Fireball

It does., Thank you very much!

Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

:)