Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Directory Tool Dynamic "Directory" Path

JMart2135
8 - Asteroid

Hey everyone,

I am trying to use the Directory tool to pull certain excel files out of a network share folder. The issue is that within each projects folder, there are many other folders. I know which of the folders I need to go into each time but cant figure out a better way of making the Directory path itself dynamic.

Example:

Directory: NetworkFolder\ProjectName\ProjectSub1\

File: XXX.XLSX

I want to pull ant excel file XXX.XLSX that is in the path of 

Directory: NetworkFolder\*\ProjectSub1\

File XXX.XLSX

There are multiple "ProjectSub" folders and I only need to go into ProjectSub1 each time because that is where this file is always located. The issue is that I dont know the Project or XXX part of the name so I cant just build the filepath, I have to pull it from the Directory. 

Am I making this more difficult that it needs to be? I tried just using Directory: NetworkFolder\ but that takes way too long since its checking each project and each project sub.

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

3 REPLIES 3
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @JMart2135 - You can find all xlsx files in all folders using the configuration below:

ArtApa_0-1670448827737.png

Then you may attach a filter tool that will find the file you need:

ArtApa_1-1670449010943.png

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @JMart2135 

You can also leverage interface tools to the filter tool to turn the workflow into an analytic application in order to specify which files you are trying to process.

MrMoD7
5 - Atom

How can you have the directory tool to do the "\*\" action as asked in the main question?

Cause if you put the main folder, the directory will go through folders that you do not need adding up wait time which is not needed.

Labels