Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Excel #name? error after writing data starting with "="

MohithRai
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have an alteryx workflow which reads the data from text file and writes it to an excel file. One of the column in the source data has a value "=N". The workflow reads this data as "=N" and writes it to the excel file without any issue. But when the output excel file is opened, this data appears as #Name? and not as the expected value i.e. "=N".

Please let me know if there is a solution or workaround to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Mohith

6 REPLIES 6
Jay-RDC
8 - Asteroid

One option you can do is create an excel template and set the formatting for that column as text and set it to ignore the error. Then use the option to preserve formatting on your Output Tool.

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @MohithRai 

Another solution is to edit the columns within the workflow itself, so where the value is =N change it to '=N

That way excel reads it as text rather than a formula and shouldn't give you the #Name? error

MohithRai
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DavidSkaife ,

Thanks for your reply.

This works fine when it is manually entered in excel. As shown in the below screenshot, the data manually entered in excel(Cell B2) is displayed as =N even though we have added a single quote at the beginning. 

But when this data is updated in the workflow and run, the workflow writes the data to excel file(Cell A2) as '=N and not =N. So this is basically changing the source data.

MohithRai_1-1659416741310.png

MohithRai
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Jay-RDC ,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand your point. But the workflow names the output file dynamically based on some of the source data columns. If we go with the template then we need to find a way(Like an external batch/python script) to rename the output file after data load.

I agree that your point will definitely resolve the issue. But we are also trying to keep the workflow as simple as possible, and trying to avoid using an external script.

Thanks,

Mohith

MohithRai
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

We found a workaround for this. Before the data is loaded to excel file, the source data is being updated using the below formula. So basically we are creating an excel formula within Alteryx. The data in the output file shows up as =N but in the backend it is formula. 

MohithRai_0-1659421001361.png

MohithRai_2-1659421291214.png

As I mentioned this is a workaround. But if you have any suggestions or other approach, Please let me know. 

Thanks,

Mohith

MohithRai
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

With reference to my pervious response - We were able to populate the data starting with "=" into an excel file without any issue.

But when this excel file is read in another workflow, this data is read as NULL. So , In order to read this data in Alteryx, The excel file needs to be opened manually again, saved and then read again in the workflow. We are looking for a solution which does not involve such manual tasks(opening file and saving).

Please let me know if you have faced such scenario, or if you have any solution/workaround to fix this.

Thanks,

Mohith 

Labels