Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output to existing Rendered excel, Specify sheet name error

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I want to keep my formatting of my existing rendered excel. When I output i am getting error "You must specific sheet name".

However I have 8 sheets that I need to overwrite. How do I do this?

These are tables that i want to overwrite.

34 REPLIES 34
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@wonka1234 you need to specify a sheet name in the output tool

image.png

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@binuacs  i do that, but it is not preserving my existing file that was in there and updating it.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@wonka1234 Use specific range to write your output instead of the entire sheet at once, 

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@binuacs Seems to work and preserve the format but things are not being overwritten with new data correct. Do you know why this would occur?

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

bump!

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@wonka1234 When you write the output to a sheet , it actually replaces everything in the existing sheet including the formatting, but you if you use only the specific range to write into a sheet it will only replaces what mentioned in the range also it will keep the formatting

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@binuacs  but i am writing to an existing sheet. and it doesnt keep the table formatting that was previously output there.

Please see attached workflow. Step 3 in my workflow will need new data to be refreshed in the tabs that should be colored.

sparksun
11 - Bolide

As Binuacs said, you need to specify the data range like test.xlsx|||Tab_two$A2:A2,then the formatting will be preserved after you changed it to red and blue formatting at step 2. Remember to adjust the data range according to the size of your data feeding.

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@sparksun  Range of the Render or Range of the Excel? Ive updated Range of my excel of tab_two to be A1:A2, and it is not being updated. Format is staying the same as a red excel tab but i do not see record - table2-testpleasework

Labels