Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Parsing Information from a string that is dynamic

livluvlaf4lyf
5 - Atom

I am struggling parsing a long string properly.

******As an FYI Alteryx thought my strings were HTML so I had to add " " around the examples and the field names, which aren't actually there in real life********

I need to pop out the following fields from dynamic string strings that can look like this; 

Example 1:

"Proj for ONT Ntwk/Table Prog () from (Olivia Lenox) - D/V only - Various sites, Phones= 7290, Comp Phones= 0"

Example 2:

"Proj for DNT Ntwk/Table Prog (MR2923021) from (Jill Lady)- Expansion-Place Center, Floors Affected=1- Seats Effected=48, Circuit=Yes , ConfRm=3, WAPs=0, WIPs=0, Phones=0 ,Comp ConfRm= 0, Comp WAP's= 0, Comp WIP's= 0, Comp Phones= 0"

As you can see, literally nothing about the strings are guaranteed. They could have the fields I need to pull which are; 

"ConfRm, WAPs, WIPs, Phones, Comp ConfRm, Comp WAP's, Comp WIP's, Comp Phones"

I know I would probably have to do each parsing separately and Im ok with that. The fields don't previously exist in my dataset, so I can create them in a formula tool beforehand or during this process. To clarify, I really only need the value that is after the = sign. I dont need the space but it also wouldnt matter if the space was pulled in. Attached are the two different ways I tried to tackle this but I was not successful as I cannot figure out how to parse dynamically for strings like this.

6 REPLIES 6
flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @livluvlaf4lyf 

If you can give the desired input result data, we will show you a more precise process.

Tokenize by :

(?<=,)([^,-]+?)(?=,|$)

录制_2024_04_26_11_10_16_761.gif

Input
Proj for DNT Ntwk/Table Prog (MR2923021) from (Jill Lady)- Expansion-Place Center, Floors Affected=1- Seats Effected=48, Circuit=Yes , ConfRm=3, WAPs=0, WIPs=0, Phones=0 ,Comp ConfRm= 0, Comp WAP's= 0, Comp WIP's= 0, Comp Phones= 0
Proj for ONT Ntwk/Table Prog () from (Olivia Lenox) - D/V only - Various sites, Phones= 7290, Comp Phones= 0

Output
Circuit,ConfRm,WAPs,WIPs,Phones,Comp ConfRm,Comp WAP's,Comp WIP's,Comp Phones
Phones,Comp Phones
livluvlaf4lyf
5 - Atom

Thank you so much! My desired output is to pop out or overwrite these field headers “ConfRm, WAPs,WIPs, Phones,Comp ConfRm, Comp WAP's, Comp WIP's, Comp Phones” and then populate every record in my dataset with whatever value(s) are after the equal sign. However, if one of these values dont exist, i cant have “0” populate it. For example, the ONT network example doesnt have ConfRm. I still need ConfRm to show up as a header field for that record… but I cant have it automatically populate 0. It will need to populate either N/A or a blank space. As unfortunately I need the 0 and 1 values to only be there when they actually exist for calculations later on. 

livluvlaf4lyf
5 - Atom

Could you also explain the language of the token by chance?

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @livluvlaf4lyf 

1- Please upload sample output table as your want. (format of above post.)

2- Regex syntax:

(?<=,)        after ,

([^,-]+?)     exclude , and -

(?=,|$)       before , or end.

livluvlaf4lyf
5 - Atom

Hopefully this does the trick! I am fine either creating the fields during this process or creating them before I get to this point in the workflow. 

Input           
 Description          
 Proj for DNT Ntwk/Table Prog (MR2923021) from (Jill Lady)- Expansion-Place Center, Floors Affected=1- Seats Effected=48, Circuit=Yes , ConfRm=3, WAPs=0, WIPs=0, Phones=0 ,Comp ConfRm= 0, Comp WAP's= 0, Comp WIP's= 0, Comp Phones= 0          
 Proj for ONT Ntwk/Table Prog () from (Olivia Lenox) - D/V only - Various sites, Phones= 7290, Comp Phones= 0          

OutputDescriptionConfRmWAPsWipsPhonesComp ConfmComp WAP'sComp Wip'sComp Phones 
 Proj for DNT Ntwk/Table Prog (MR2923021) from (Jill Lady)- Expansion-Place Center, Floors Affected=1- Seats Effected=48, Circuit=Yes , ConfRm=3, WAPs=0, WIPs=0, Phones=0 ,Comp ConfRm= 0, Comp WAP's= 0, Comp WIP's= 0, Comp Phones= 030000000  
 Proj for ONT Ntwk/Table Prog () from (Olivia Lenox) - D/V only - Various sites, Phones= 7290, Comp Phones= 0N/AN/AN/A7290N/AN/AN/A0  
 OR  the output below for description example #2I am fine with the null fields being N/A or " " , but they cannot automatically populate with a zero.  
 Proj for ONT Ntwk/Table Prog () from (Olivia Lenox) - D/V only - Various sites, Phones= 7290, Comp Phones= 0   7290   0  
flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @livluvlaf4lyf 

FYI.

录制_2024_04_30_10_59_28_748.gif

Input        
Description       

Output        
RecordIDConfRmWAPsWIPsPhonesComp ConfRmComp WAP'sComp WIP'sComp Phones
2   7290   0

Labels