Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Pass questions in workflow events

Linas
8 - Asteroid

Is there any way to pass questions to workflow events? For example, change the email recipients, as shown in the screenshot.

4 REPLIES 4
Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@Linas You likely won't find much on Events here. I've used them quite often in the past, but have moved toward the Run Command tool (not user friendly) or Python (much better). If you're able to send emails via Events, you will be able to send emails using the Email tool. You can pass parameters to the Email tool if you turn your workflow into an app. If you upload a sample workflow with dummy data and state what you're trying to change or offer to your user, it'll be easier for us to help you with a solution.

Linas
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your answer. We're trying to send an email if workflow errors (we've set the email event to trigger "After run with errors"). When we're migrating the workflow to another environment and test-running it, we'd like to change the email recipient.

Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@Linas I had a use case like this a while back. I set up a mailbox that everyone on my team could monitor that received the email, like "AnalyticsTeam@CompanyA.com." Every time we onboarded a new person, they got access to that inbox. That way we never had to change the email address in the Event and all of our error messages from Events would show up there. Would this work for you?

Linas
8 - Asteroid

@Prometheus a shared mailbox would unfortunately not work for us. There are too many users and it would require too much maintenance. 

Strange that parameters like %AppName% can be used in the email events, but %Question.xxx% cannot. I will then post it as an idea and let's see where it goes from there.

Labels