Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pause/Wait/Hold Tool

ScubaGeek
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am trying to build a macro that pause flow-through of its DataStream for a user-defined amount of time, after the the module's Run function is pressed.

Basically it will be a modified Block Until Done tool. Where it blocks the stream until a defined amount of time passes from when the user hits the Run button.

Is there a way to track/record when the run button is hit, allowing a start point for code to build a countdown? I am assuming I have to build an R or Python script to do this. I am at the exploration stage, so I am not sure how I will build this, but for now I am just trying to find out if there is a way to identify when the module's run is engaged.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @ScubaGeek,

You can use the run time events to identify when run is pressed.

IraWatt_0-1654717153833.png

It is also possible to stop the workflow for a given time using the Python tool and the time library: 

import time
time.sleep(3)

An Alteryx app could allow a user to pass a given amount of time to the python tool.

CarliE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@ScubaGeek,

you can download CReW macros from Chaos Reigns Within

There is a tool in that package called "wait a second" --  this tool allows a user to specify a wait time between records passing through the tool.

If this helped to solve you're issue, please make sure to mark it as a solution to help out other members of the community.

Carli
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Here's a macro I built recently... see if you find it useful.

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @ScubaGeek!

Will you kindly let us know if any of these solutions worked for you?

Thanks,
Deb

ScubaGeek
7 - Meteor

This is exactly what i was looking for! Thank you!

CAJay
6 - Meteoroid

solution which I could think of using R tool, on Alteryx wait issue please find below

Basically 2 tools are being used to arrive at the solution –

Block until Done and R language Tool

Under Block until done tool

1st  Stage add R Language tool and run below script – (”30” in script means 30 seconds , which can be changed accordingly)

2nd Stage add the relevant tool needed as per your requirement

A1.pngA2.png

R Script below

testit <- function(x)

{

p1 <- proc.time()

Sys.sleep(x)

proc.time() - p1 # The cpu usage should be negligible

}

testit(30)

Bria_Davis
5 - Atom

This macro package has been a life saver!! Thank you for posting this.

Labels