Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Script for a workflow

smrithiraj
7 - Meteor

Hi Team

Is there a script that my team member can read to understand the workflow that I have created? Is there any place where everything is documented so that we can understand a workflow that was created by someone else? 

Also, how can we achieve collaboration between team members for all the workflows?

Thanks

Smrithi

7 REPLIES 7
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @smrithiraj 

The advantage of Alteryx is that everybody can understand the overall process by looking at WF itself without reading specific manual/documentation, but you have to create WF to make it so. Otherwise, it would look like a spaghetti.

Refer to this article for best practice to make "self-explanatory" WF.

https://community.alteryx.com/pvsmt99345/attachments/pvsmt99345/inspire-17/265/1/Alteryx%20-%2024%20...

For second question, pair programming feature is not yet supported. The best you can do is to share the workflows on the shared folder.

smrithiraj
7 - Meteor

Hi Gawa

Thanks for the document on best practices of Alteryx.

For the second question, I explored a little more and found that there is Alteryx Server.... It looks like we can save the workflows to the server as well, and that there is a versioning option as well. We could use this to have all the workflows in one place for collaboration purpose... right?

Alteryx Server: Alteryx Server provides a flexible and secure architecture that is designed to fit into your organization’s governance strategy. Built-in authentication, integrated SSO, and a granular permissions model provides enterprise-grade security.

Regards

Smrithi

gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@smrithiraj Correct, Alteryx Server is the best option for collaboration purpose in organization.

That is true...but please keep in mind that license fee for Alteryx Server is a bit costly so it should be carefully examined if your company accepts that cost!😅

smrithiraj
7 - Meteor

Our company is exploring this tool and we would like to go for Alteryx Desktop Designer. When we pay for Alteryx Desktop Designer license, would we not get the server as well? Should we pay separately for the server?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

There are two issues here:

1) version control

2) documentation

version control:

Alteryx Server is a hypervisor layer. It is a seperate product. It manages workflows and allows remote usage of workflows. It is considerably more expensive than designer (figure 30X).

Alteryx does not support Github integration natively because "stuff" - although I would be shocked to learn that if the Alteryx dev team didn't use Github (or equivalent code repo) internally. I have an idea that Alteryx should support github. Preferably with SSH connection. Preferably not requiring AMP.

documentation:

Regarding documenting your workflow though - this is on you. It's like code or anythign else - you can leave comments/annotations - but at it's core this is up to the designer.

smrithiraj
7 - Meteor

@apathetichell Can you provide me the pricing details for Alteryx server since I dont find it on the main website of Alteryx.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Sorry - I'm just a customer - someone on the partner/sales team should do that - most likely your rep.

Labels