Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Could not finalize mongodb restore the mongodb database failed to start with exit code 100

Brinker
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I keep getting this error after upgrading from 2023.1 to 23.2. I have done 3 upgrade on 3 different servers and all gave me this error after the mongo migration. But there is no issue, the AlteryxService starts up successfully.

Is this a bug or why is this happening?

Untitled picture.png

4 REPLIES 4
NatSnook
8 - Asteroid

I have seen a similar thing today, wondering if the MongoDB upgrade was actually succesful. it is slightly worrying.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Brinker ,

You should start looking at the migration logs to see what is happening. Maybe it is a corrupted value somewhere/

C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Gallery\Logs\alteryx-migration.csv

Also, have you performed the pre-upgrade checks before doing the upgrade? This is an important step to fix some issues that can make your migration not work.

https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/server-pre-upgrade-checks

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Paul_Holden
9 - Comet

Hi,

Seeing the same issue on upgrading our production system to 2023.2 from 2022.1

We did not see any issues when upgrading our test system.

I had previously:

Run the pre-upgrade checks - no issues reported

Run the mongo migration tool - no issues reported

Re-run the pre-upgrade checks - no issues reported

Run the installer for 2023.2.1.89

Got exactly the same error message as op

Checked for:

C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Gallery\Logs\alteryx-migration.csv

Cannot find this file.

We have ProgramData for Alteryx redirected to D: as per all path options on the Engine Configuration page in Server Setup.

I have C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service\AlteryxServiceMigrator_0.log presumably from the encryption migration - shows no errors.

I have no .\Gallery folder under C:\ProgramData\Alteryx

I have a .\Gallery folder under our defined logging folder path on D: but that folder does not contain any logs newer than that for the last workflow which ran before I started the upgrade.

I have D:\AlteryxProgramData\Service\Persistence\MongoDB_PreUpgrade\migration.log which appears to contain the same content as the output tool when it was running.

The last lines in that file are:

2024-04-13T10:48:48.836+0100 508999 document(s) restored successfully. 0 document(s) failed to restore.

--Stopping MongoDb
--Starting: mongosh.exe localhost:27018 "D:\AlteryxProgramData\Service\Persistence\MongoDB\shutdown.js"
Current Mongosh Log ID: 661a55017a818e4647ec3c80
Connecting to: mongodb://localhost:27018/?directConnection=true&serverSelectionTimeoutMS=2000&appName=mongosh+1.8.2
Using MongoDB: 6.0.5
Using Mongosh: 1.8.2

For mongosh info see: https://docs.mongodb.com/mongodb-shell/

------
The server generated these startup warnings when booting
2024-04-13T10:47:53.374+01:00: Access control is not enabled for the database. Read and write access to data and configuration is unrestricted
2024-04-13T10:47:53.375+01:00: This server is bound to localhost. Remote systems will be unable to connect to this server. Start the server with --bind_ip <address> to specify which IP addresses it should serve responses from, or with --bind_ip_all to bind to all interfaces. If this behavior is desired, start the server with --bind_ip 127.0.0.1 to disable this warning
------

------
Enable MongoDB's free cloud-based monitoring service, which will then receive and display
metrics about your deployment (disk utilization, CPU, operation statistics, etc).

The monitoring data will be available on a MongoDB website with a unique URL accessible to you
and anyone you share the URL with. MongoDB may use this information to make product
improvements and to suggest MongoDB products and deployment options to you.

To enable free monitoring, run the following command: db.enableFreeMonitoring()
To permanently disable this reminder, run the following command: db.disableFreeMonitoring()
------

Loading file: D:\AlteryxProgramData\Service\Persistence\MongoDB\shutdown.js
MongoNetworkError: connection 1 to 127.0.0.1:27018 closed

--Starting: C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\mongod.exe --dbpath "D:\AlteryxProgramData\Service\Persistence\MongoDB" --port 27018

I'm seeing the following in the Windows Event Log - Application branch

Fault bucket 2155290668401245467, type 5
Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: mongod4_2.exe
P2: 4.2.22.0
P3: 10.0.17763.2.0.0

This is a standard Windows memory leak warning? I don't know if that would then cause the service to fail?

I note that this is for mongod4_2.exe whereas post upgrade we should be running mongod.exe so may not be relevant to the failure to start error.

When I checked the Alteryxservice it was stopped.

I'm not clear at this point what I am supposed to do. I'm not clear even if this had been successful how what the correct way is to install Predictive Tools?

==UPDATE==

I am unable to re-run the .89 installer as it says that this version is already installed. Has it automatically updated the Predictive Tools?

I need to run the patch 3 .133 installer so we will see what happens with that.

It appears to hang at calculating space?

The Alteryxservice will not start at this point.

==UPDATE==

I rebooted the server.

The Alteryxservice started.

The file alteryx-migration.csv has now magically appeared in the .\Gallery\Logs folder with timestamp post reboot?

Nothing out of the ordinary - lines with  FATAL relate to the upgrade process obtaining a lock. All other lines are INFO.

Ran server setup wizard - caused the Alteryxservice to stop which is unusual as I thought it was supposed to restart it.

Service starts okay.

Going to attempt the patch 3 upgrade again.

==UPDATE==

Patch 3 has gone through. Not sure if it was hanging before or just takes a long time to do the space calculation.

My query on Predictive Tools is answered by this note on the documentation page:

• Install Predictive Tools: Installs the predictive tools in Designer. The predictive tools use R, an open-source programming language used for statistical and predictive analysis. Select this option to launch the R installer. You have to install the predictive tools to use the predictive macros in Designer. To install at a later time, go to Options > Download Predictive Tools in Designer.

I must say that I find this "branching" nature of the install process counter intuitive. Why not just stick to the separate installer for the Predictive Tools and then it wouldn't muddy the waters with the server install process?

==FINAL UPDATE==

Our system is updated to 2023.2

With regards to the OP this error did not appear to impact the upgrade in any way. I can only think that this is some sort of sequencing issue that prevents, or appears to prevent, the mongod daemon from starting?

Mohsen_84
Alteryx
Alteryx

This is most likely due to the ASMongoDBVersions.bin file missing from the MongoDB folder. If it's missing you can follow the steps in the article below to get your service working properly.

https://knowledge.alteryx.com/index/s/article/Could-not-finalize-mongodb-restore-the-mongodb-databas...