Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Host database connections on one server and share with Alteryx Designer users

Akid14
5 - Atom

Problem:

My client is currently using Alteryx, but they are missing the ability to connect to databases directly, which they had with SAS EG. Alteryx requires a separate database engine to be installed on the server, while SAS EG includes its own embedded database engine. My client does not allow Alteryx Designer to directly connect to databases due to security policy. Therefore, I am looking for a workaround that will allow my client to host the database connection on one server and share it with Alteryx Designer users.

What I have tried:

I have reviewed the Alteryx documentation and online community, but I have not been able to find a satisfactory solution. I have also tried using a database proxy, but this has resulted in performance issues.

What I am asking for:

I am hoping that the Alteryx community can provide me with some guidance on how to share a database connection with Alteryx Designer users without sacrificing performance. I am also interested in learning if there are any third-party tools that can help me to achieve this goal.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 REPLY 1
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Akid14 

You can utilize DCM(Data Connection Manager) in Alteryx Server that is the most secure way to share credential to access DBMS.

Please note that even if DCM is shared to user's Designer, their computer shall be at least reachable to DBMS in terms of network(Firewall setting, etc).