Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Replace Workflow and Schedule

cpet13
8 - Asteroid

I have been doing some testing and have found that when I upload a workflow to the server and use the Replace option to replace a previous workflow with the new workflow, the previous workflow is replaced. However, if the old version of the workflow had an associated schedule associated with it, the schedule does not utilize the new version of the workflow and instead starts displaying nothing for the schedule and workflow name. So now, in order to get it back to being scheduled, I have to delete the old schedule and create a whole new schedule utilizing the most current version.

In addition, if I use the Replace option on a workflow that was previously in a collection (with the purpose of sharing it with others), it gets removed from the collection and has to be added back in.

I can get around this by editing the workflow directly in the server (from desktop goin file => Open workflow => Alteryx Server), but the other way, of replacing the workflow and having it keep the schedule and collections it is in from the previous version, would be nice to have as well. Is this something that I am just doing wrong? Is this possible, and I'm just not familiar with how to do it?

3 REPLIES 3
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @cpet13 ,

Replacing the workflow is the correct way to keep the schedules, permissions and everything else. I tested here just in case and everything remained as it should.

My only guess is that you might be replacing it the other way around because I have already done it. And I blame the instructions for it.

Just to check if this is your case:

Access the old version of your workflow, select 'replace workflow' and then select the new workflow version from the list. You will keep the entire history of logs and executions from your old version.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

cpet13
8 - Asteroid

Hi Fernando, thank you for your post. So when replacing a workflow, you click Replace on the old workflow and select the new workflow, not the other way around? I have been doing it the opposite way, selecting Replace on the new workflow and select the old workflow.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Yes, exactly! 😁