Cloud Quests

Elevate your workflow skills by solving real-world challenges using the Alteryx Analytics Cloud Platform.

Cloud Quest #6: Girl Power in Math

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Maveryx,

We posted the solution JSON file to Cloud Quest #5. Check it out and let us know what you think! Send suggestions to academy@alteryx.com or leave a comment below.

Let’s dive into this week's quest!

Download the provided JSON start file and upload it into your Analytics Cloud library. For more detailed instructions on how to import and export Designer Cloud workflow files, check out the pinned article .

Scenario:

This week’s quest revolves around data provided about standardized math exams administered in New York City Public Schools from 2013 to 2019. Download the provided district_math_results.csv dataset and reconnect it in your starting workflow file. Ensure that the Interpret Column Datatypes checkbox is not selected in the Input Data tool options. The dataset includes details on the district, grade, year, category (male/female); the number of students who took the test; and the percentage of students who achieved each level, with Level 4 being the highest.

You have two tasks:

• Calculate the change, by district, in the percentage of 8th grade female students who achieved a Level 4 score in 2019 compared to 2013.
  • Identify the top three districts that showed the most significant improvement in the Level 4 percentage over the same period. 

Hint: Configure the Cross Tab tool to create a new column based on the Year field, labeling the columns as Year 2013 and Year 2019. The Level 4 percentage should serve as the value for these columns, using the Use First Value method. Ensure the data is grouped by District.

Spoiler
A combination of the Sample, Filter, Cross Tab, Formula, and Select tools should solve your problem, but not necessarily in this sequence.

A combination of the Sample, Filter, Cross Tab, Formula, and Select tools should solve your problem, but not necessarily in this sequence.

If you find yourself struggling with any of the tasks, feel free to explore these interactive lessons in the Maveryx Academy for guidance:

Once you have completed your quest, go back to your Analytics Cloud library. Download your workflow solution file. Include your JSON file and workflow screenshot as attachments to your comment.

Here’s to a successful quest!

AYXAcademy_0-1713381881710.png

Source: https://infohub.nyced.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/2014-15-to-2022-23-nyc-regent...

18 REPLIES 18
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Done!

Spoiler
Quest 6.png
JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Quest6_JeffF.png
nadasky
7 - Meteor

My solution!

Spoiler
Quest_6_My_Solution.png

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

My solution to the challenge.

Very Nice to use the cloud capabilities for the crosstab and sample tools.

DaanVerkerk
6 - Meteoroid

My solution, after interpreting Task 2 wrongly as 'top 3 District no matter Gender or Grade :D 

Spoiler
Scherm­afbeelding 2024-04-29 om 15.24.02.png
RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

here's my take

Spoiler
performance is not any issue with this data sizeperformance is not any issue with this data size
bradshaw
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 6.13.44 PM.png
RobertW
Alteryx
Alteryx

With and without crosstab

Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 2.22.38 PM.png

geoff_zath