Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #405: Decorate a Christmas tree, Designer style!

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Maveryx_WC_Banner.png

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found here. 

Prepare for an extraordinary Christmas challenge crafted by a dedicated team from Brazil:   @lemuelcastro , @Malvim , @nicolascorreiacolombo and @Ranyaky-Vilela! . We are immensely grateful for your commitment and creativity in designing this unique challenge that will brighten our challenges board in this special festive period.

’Tis the season for jolly vibes and festive cheer! Many traditions and holidays are celebrated this time of year, and this week, we invite you to sleigh our weekly challenge where you will decorate a Christmas tree, Designer style.

Your merry mission involves creating a Christmas tree adorned with ornaments that each have a friend’s name on it, and a star on top.  We provided the beautiful location of Fortaleza in Ceara, Brazil, to put up your tree, but feel free to update the coordinates in Input 2 to the location of your choice! To accomplish this task, you have four datasets available:

Input 1: Vectors specifying the coordinates of the Christmas tree and star ornament.

Input 2: Geographic coordinates for the location in Brazil (modifiable per your preferences).

Input 3: Birth dates of your friends (modifiable per your preferences).

Input 4: Positions for the ornaments on the tree.

Review the photos at this link to appreciate the magnificence of this place.

To successfully position the ornaments personalized with each of your friends’ names, complete these tasks:

1. Transform the vectors into geographic coordinates using the first two provided datasets: Input 1 and Input 2.

If you are a beginner and Task 1 is too advanced, no worries!

You can use the dataset provided in the start workflow and begin with Task 2.

2. Make a list of 10 friends (or use the input provided), and sort their birthdays by year and day in ascending order. Merge this list with the corresponding positions of each person’s ornament on the tree.

3. Bring your Christmas tree to life with vibrant colors, using the results from the previous tasks.

Helpful hints:

• Vectors and spatial coordinates are distinct concepts despite both using X and Y coordinates.
  • Leverage spatial tools for this challenge.
  • Adjust the radius size of your trade area to ensure your ornaments are positioned nicely on the Christmas tree.

Let your holiday creativity unfold!

Warmest wishes for a festive season brimming with joy, peace, and cherished moments. May the holiday spirit illuminate your home.

Christmas_Card.png

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Super fun challenge! I did mine from the White House Christmas Tree since I am based out of DC, but Fortaleza is beautiful @AYXAcademy!

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

formatting maps always takes me some time,,,, here's my take:

Spoiler
random sort of friends.... just to be fairrandom sort of friends.... just to be fair
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Not sure why I couldn't add in the pictures into the original post, but Happy Holidays everyone!

Challenge 405.png

Spoiler
Challenge 405 Workflow.PNG

chrissteinemann
5 - Atom

nice

ed_hayter
12 - Quasar

Apologies to my fake friends - had to randomly sample which friends to put on the tree.

Spoiler
image.png
olga_strubbe
10 - Fireball

Thank you,  @lemuelcastro , @Malvim , @nicolascorreiacolombo and @Ranyaky-Vilela , for such a fun, holiday challenge!  It was a great practice of the spatial and reporting tools. 

2023-12-18_12-48-49.png

chart image.png

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
image.png
FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
image.png
robbinrv
8 - Asteroid

Lovely Xmas spirity one and a refresher for the report tools!

Spoiler
image.pngimage.png