Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.
SOLVED

Want to use REMOVESYMBOLS() functions across 80+ columns to handle non-alphanumeric characters. I could only find the default way to apply it over each column again and again.Please suggest alternative.to apply in one go over all the column/group of cols

Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

4 REPLIES 4
Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Divyangana Pandey? there couple of ways to achieve depending on how the columns are positioned.

I would recommend to use "remove symbols in text" transform instead of REMOVESYMBOLS() function.

1. If all the 80+ columns are placed consecutively, then use Range(define start and end columns) in Columns field within the above transform
  2. If some are placed consequently and some are not the, use Advanced in columns field. Here you can input a range(colA~colP) of columns and individual columns together
  3. You can also switch of columns view and (shift+click/cmd or ctrl+click) select multiple columns as a range and individual selections.

Hope this helps.

Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thank you for the prompt response!

I tried using the above solution.It is working partially for me as , it is removing the dashes between the dates in columns as well. (2020-07-13 is getting converted to 20200713). Is there a specific function just to remove chinese characters?

Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

So regarding date columns, either of two scenarios are occuring.

• Date columns appear in Range columns selection. This can be verified by switching to columns view and searching for the column in Find Column task in toolbar. Transformer must also show the preview of the transform applied on columns so that's also one avenue worth looking
  • Date columns contain additional symbols and requires cleaning. If so, date columns can be treated as a separate step.

You can use the same transform to remove chinese characters or use REMOVESYMBOLS() function. Symbols of languages that are non-Latin will be removed. I tried both approaches on dataprep on chinese characters and it seems to work for me.

Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks @Vardan Negi?