Alteryx Designer Cloud Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Cloud.
SOLVED

I have imported a hive table into Trifacta, among several rows, 1 row is getting split into several rows in the trifacta transformer.

TrifactaUsers
10 - Fireball

The column being split contains a string with normal spaces(no other symbols or delimiters). This parsing problem is only happening in Trifacta. We tried downloading the Hive table data as csv file and xls file and both are not having any problems

3 REPLIES 3
Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Sooraj,

Hmm, interesting. Just to clarify: after downloading the Hive table as CSV, did you then try uploading that CSV file to Trifacta? If not, please try this and let us know the result in the transformer grid. I am super curious.

Cheers,

Nathanael

TrifactaUsers
10 - Fireball

Hey @Nathanael Kuipers? ,

I was able to find a resolution to this issue. Even though the downloaded csv file only had one row, when I looked into the particular column, the string had different inherent lines;

So we understood that '\r\n' (new line command) was already in the datasets among some columns in hive tables. We applied a filter to remove these from the source from where it is populated to the hive table.

I am still not aware of how to tackle this problem, if the source wasnt in our control.

Thanks,

Sooraj

Trifacta_Alumni
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Sooraj P?,

Here is how: https://docs.trifacta.com/display/SS/Remove+Initial+Structure

Then you can adjust the line endings using, e.g., REPLACE.

Cheers,

Nathanael