Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can we create Views in Alteryx?

rama533
7 - Meteor

Can we create Views in Alteryx?

11 REPLIES 11
FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @rama533,

The result of an Alteryx workflow is essentially a view. It is the result of a query executed on a table. 

What exactly is your question? And are you even referring to SQL views or to smth different?

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @rama533 , after connecting to SAP HANA through an Input Data tool, you can choose to query it through custom SQL. To do this, select the SQL Editor tab after connecting to SAP HANA:

image.png

Hope this helps!

rama533
7 - Meteor

Hi @FinnCharlton 

Unable to create view in InputData tool.Please see the screen shot ..

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @rama533 , not sure you can actually create a view using the Input Data tool, I thought you were just trying to execute the query. Why are you trying to create a view with Alteryx and not directly in SAP HANA? I would look into the In-DB tools for this use case: https://help.alteryx.com/20231/designer/database-overview 

rama533
7 - Meteor

Thank you @FinnCharlton , Do you have any Idea about this error? Can't we use string_split function in a query in Alteryx?

I was trying to execute the View Query in SQlEditor in output data tool  but getting this error at string_split function is not a valid function/procedure

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello Rama,

Fast answer : you can't create view instead of table..

Longest answer :  but you can use my macro with only three parameters : an in-memory connection, the view name and the select query.

image.png

Please note that it can also be a good idea for this idea
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Ideas/In-DB-Create-View/idi-p/157886

Best regards,

Simon

rama533
7 - Meteor

Hi @ simonaubert_bd,

Thank you for the reply , need some more clarification

for example My view name is "dvwSou_Award

Our source is "aka:SQLServer" and destination is "SAP HANA connection string

Query of the view is :--

CREATE VIEW dvwSou_Award
AS
SELECT
[Awarding Code] = A.mentCode,
[Org Path Id] = A.PathId, 

etc 200lines are there

what should I give in the three textboxes while  running in the interface designer. please explain with my examples..

where should I give source connection string and destination connection string

Please see the screenshots are action tools "replace specific string "correct?

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello @rama533 

No it's not correct at all.

What you need is

1/ an in-memory alias connection.
You find it there :
image.png

2/the SQL select query to create your view. The one you wrote will query the view... We need what's behind the view if you want to create it. It's not magic, you have to specify it somewhere ;)

Example :

select * from db_prod_dl7_innovation.dummy_geo where continent='America'

3/ your view name
Example :
db_prod.view_geo_america

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

And just a thing : you cannot create a view in sap hana based on sql server... this is not a limit of Alteryx, that's just how views work ;) And that's because you can't query sql server in SAPhana.

Labels