Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Take the value and average from previous year if current value is null

zzhangs
5 - Atom
Hi Community,

quick question on Alteryx:

I am trying to get an average value from previous year if the current row is null, the values from previous year is break out into row level. 

I have attached the output here for reference. 

I am having some struggles to figure this out, thanks for the help in advance.

YearNew_Dev_Time_TotalLaunch_New_Program_CountStrategy NameProgram NameProduct CategoryCalcOutput Note
20227.6273971771CCA7.6273971777.627397177 
20227.1013697851DDB7.1013697857.101369785 
2023     null7.36average ( all values in 2022)
2024     null7.36 

4 REPLIES 4
AGilbert
11 - Bolide

Use the multi-row tool to update the Calc field with "if isnull([calc]) then [row-1:calc] else [calc]". This assumes that your Year field is sorted in ascending order. 

AGilbert
11 - Bolide

Ah, I see the complexity of multiple rows of 2022.

I would use a Summarize with group by year and average year. You can join the annual averages to each row of the original table (creating an avg_calc field). You can then use two multi-row tools to fill the null values. See the attached workflow. 

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@zzhangs here's another way which will update all nulls with the average of the most recent non-null year
image.png

Hsandness
7 - Meteor

You could use 3 multi-row tools. One to count the amount of records in each year, one to sum each output amount for each year and a third multi-row tool that will get the average of the previous year(s) if the current value in the calc column is "null". The years would have to be the first column sorted, doesn't matter if they're ascending or descending though.

Labels