Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

When Do You Use Designer Installed with the Server?

BarryJT
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

Right now, I have admin access to the server where Alteryx Server is installed, and periodically, I find myself using the instance of Designer installed with the Server, specifically when troubleshooting. However, I may need to give up this admin access (and, worst of all, possibly Curator access). I'm working on documenting the pros and cons of our options, and one of my cons is losing access to Designer on the Server.

While I know I've been lucky, do those of you without access to Designer on the Server find yourself in situations where you need to use Designer on the Server to troubleshoot? If so, how are these situations typically handled?

Thanks,

Barry

4 REPLIES 4
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @BarryJT ,

Yes, having access to the Server`s Designer definitely helps a lot with any kind of troubleshooting. Here are some things that require this type of access

• Install new connectors
  • Shared folder permission issues
  • Python-based connector issues
  • Gallery UI issues
  • Server Upgrade
  • Patch installation
  • System settings config

Cons: I have worked with clients with and without access to the server and the main difference is the speed to get your things solved. To be dependent on the SLA of an internal support ticket or the server admin`s availability to fix your issues is a nightmare and you would probably have to deal with someone with not a lot of Alteryx experience, leading to delays or even the need for a call where you guide the server admin to perform the troubleshoot tasks you want.

Pros: This would definitely prevent using the Server`s Designer for troubleshooting anything other than permission and access issues that may cause your scheduled workflows to experience performance issues since you are 'stealing' server resources. https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Measuring-and-Scaling-a-Private-Server/ba-p/8786

Let me know if you want me to expand on anything or if you have any other questions.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

BarryJT
7 - Meteor

Thank you @fmvizcaino! Your response was very helpful.  For us, the biggest "pro" is the improved security and protection of data, which has become an issue as we've expanded the use of the server.

This may not be doable but right now I have admin access to the Azure server, and just thinking out loud... Is it by chance possible for me to be assigned more restricted access so I can use Designer on Server but not be able to do server upgrades or change system settings?  Could I access someone else's workflow if I had access to the Azure server but was not in the Collection?

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @BarryJT ,

Unfortunately, this option isn't available, but it would be a great idea to password-protect the system settings.

In regard to the second question, I will send you a private message.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

BarryJT
7 - Meteor

Thanks again! I'll take a look at your message.