Engine Works

Under the hood of Alteryx: tips, tricks and how-tos.
MeganDibble
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Happy New Year Maveryx! As we move into this next year, we wanted to take a moment to look back on the contributions you all made to the Gallery in 2023. The Gallery is a great place to see how your peers use Alteryx, get inspiration for projects, and find tools to help you solve common data problems.

Let’s look at some of the top member-submitted Gallery posts in 2023! You might find something that will come in handy for your next Alteryx project.

OpenAI ChatGPT (Completions) Connector by @Hiblet

OpenAI Completions.png

This macro was the first of several ChatGPT-powered tools posted by the Continuum team this year. Their completions connector allows you to prompt ChatGPT in Alteryx Designer. Learn more about their connectors here. The possibilities are endless for what you can accomplish! There are some example use cases on YouTube.

For newer versions of ChatGPT, Continuum posted updated macros:

Alteryx also released its own OpenAI connector, which you can try out here.

PDF Template Tool by @TheOC

PDF template.png

Reduce your headaches when processing PDFs! This tool uses Intelligence Suite tools and iterates through PDF documents stored within a folder, matching them all against templates previously created in the Image template tool. It outputs matched and unmatched records, allowing you to quickly target issues with any PDFs that are not aligned with your template.

Yahoo Finance Stock Market Data API by @Chuancai_Zhang

Yahoo Finance.png

Automate your data gathering for stock market analysis with this Yahoo Finance Macro. You can download dividends, stock prices, stock splits, institutional holders, mutual fund holders, and options data from Yahoo Finance.

Weekly Challenge Downloader by @LucaCesario

Weekly challenge.png

Are you looking to complete more weekly challenges this year? This app automatically downloads all weekly challenges and arranges them in folders for you!

Input Switch by @cgoodman3

Input switch.png

Using test data or a subset of data in a workflow can be helpful when developing or troubleshooting complex logic. This macro lets you quickly switch between your test and production data. It's as simple as a radio button!

Copy files between folders by @Felipe_Ribeir0

Copy files.png

This macro solves a common use case: automating the copying of files within Alteryx. It uses the Python shutil library to copy files between the origin and destination path.

Cross Tab Clean by @OllieClarke

Cross tab clean.png

Are you tired of dealing with those underscores in your field names after using the Cross Tab tool? This tool is a Macro version of the Cross Tab tool, which doesn't convert non-alphanumeric characters to underscores, allowing you to skip that extra data cleaning!

Plot Network Graph by @FinnCharlton

Plot network graph.png

If you want to visualize clusters and relationships between your data points, this macro makes it easy in Alteryx! It generates XY coordinates for plotting a network graph, given inputs of nodes and edges.

Log Extraction App by @mbarone

Log extraction app.png

It's time to stop digging through log files manually to find the scheduled workflow that failed! With this app, Alteryx does the work for you. Read more about a use case for the app in this blog.

Convert Workflows to Music by @clmc9601 and @MarqueeCrew

Workflows to Music.png

The title of this app alone should be enough to pique your interest! You can learn what your workflows sound like using this app, first demoed in Alteryx Obscura at Inspire Americas 2023. The workflow utilizes the SCAMP Python library (Suite for Computer-Assisted Music in Python) for the audio playback.

We appreciate everyone who takes the time to clean up, package, and document the Macros, Apps, Workflows, and Tools they create so they can share them with other Maveryx! 

If you haven't seen some of the Gallery posts listed above, we encourage you to download one of the tools and try it out. There's a lot we can learn simply by seeing how others solve problems.

Cheers to more solving in 2024!

Megan Dibble
Sr. Content Manager

Hi, I'm Megan! I am a Sr. Content Manager at Alteryx. I work to make sure our blogs and podcast have high quality, helpful, and engaging content. As a data analyst turned writer, I am passionate about making analytics & data science accessible (and fun) for all. If there is content that you think the community is missing, feel free to message me--I would love to hear about it.

Hi, I'm Megan! I am a Sr. Content Manager at Alteryx. I work to make sure our blogs and podcast have high quality, helpful, and engaging content. As a data analyst turned writer, I am passionate about making analytics & data science accessible (and fun) for all. If there is content that you think the community is missing, feel free to message me--I would love to hear about it.