Engine Works

Under the hood of Alteryx: tips, tricks and how-tos.
carolloj
5 - Atom

Disclaimer: This article reflects my opinions, not those of past or present employers.

Introduction

Alteryx can play a crucial role in digital transformation, but choosing Alteryx is just one element of an effective change management strategy. Corporate change management requires aligning not only technology but also strategy and people. This blog post delves into the personal and interpersonal challenges of change management. We'll explore how to stay sane and persevere in facing those challenges. 

Discovering Alteryx

My Alteryx story began at Randstad, the world's largest public staffing company. I encountered Alteryx for the first time while collaborating with Ernst & Young (EY) consultants on an engagement to predict employee churn. The EY team demonstrated a unique approach: using Alteryx for data extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) development before recreating it in Python. Though seemingly counterproductive, this approach was a significant time-saver due to Alteryx's efficiency.

Inspired by this revelation, my mentor and I crafted, pitched, and ultimately executed a business plan to create a centralized advanced analytics department. We led the charge in procuring numerous technologies – including 35 Alteryx Designer licenses and Server – for our department and a dozen others. We upskilled analysts across the company by enabling them with education and hands-on training. Alteryx became more than just a software tool; it was a gateway to a new era of driving operational impact through data analytics.

Transforming Processes with Alteryx

I joined the Business Services & Outsourcing service line of the world's fifth largest accountancy, BDO, in a new role – "Director of Innovation and Analytics." Charged with road mapping the department's next evolutionary step, I eagerly learned about the company's operations, people, and clients. I quickly realized that the client engagements typically involved recurring Excel processes that were laborious and error prone.

Recognizing the potential for improvement, I leveraged my Alteryx expertise to replicate and automate the Excel workflows. The accountants were astounded at the power of automation. The Join Tool became an instant favorite by simplifying reconciliations that were cumbersome in Excel.

In the first year, 8,600 hours were saved annually across 60 projects by converting tasks that took hours (or days) into minutes. The automated processes were also far more accurate. Humor error was reduced, audits were systematized, and more detailed work products were created. These successes became a launch pad for digital transformation.

Building a Center of Excellence: Challenges & Triumphs

Creating a Center of Excellence (CoE) for Alteryx at BDO was a journey marked by obstacles and resolutions. The aim was straightforward: establishing a hub of expertise and innovation around Alteryx within the department. However, bringing that dream into reality required a lot of growth.

Practical Challenges:

• Building Trust: The first step was to build trust in me, the CoE champions, and Alteryx. Building trust involved demonstrating the tangible benefits of Alteryx through successful projects, providing resources and support, and letting the work speak for itself. The collective consciousness takes far longer to see the light of transformation, so ample time and opportunity must be given to influencing the change.
  • Budgetary Constraints: We opted to upskill rather than hire. In addition to learning Alteryx, the champions were taught how to apply it to real-world client challenges. This approach is cost-effective and increases job satisfaction. However, numerous challenges arose – including conflicting priorities and time management – since the champions did not directly report to me. This challenge required over communication, public deadlines, and extended timelines.
  • Delegation: Balancing control with delegation was crucial. I focused on making the CoE durable through teaching and involving the champions in running the program. My goal is for the CoE to outlive me. My approach included structured project management, documentation, and strict work-product organization. 

Personal Challenges:

• Patience: Navigating the complexities of change management requires significant patience. This patience was crucial in handling inevitable delays and setbacks accompanying any major organizational transformation. Instead of viewing these hurdles as mere obstacles, I learned to see them as growth opportunities and a chance to showcase my talent. This reframing kept my eye on the goals of instituting organizational change and personal development. 
  • Perspective: No single event – be it a meeting, presentation, delay, or a stakeholder's skepticism – is a make-or-break moment. This realization allowed me to maintain a long-term view and not overemphasize situations. Additionally, perspective allowed me to keep an open mind. With an open mind, I could explore diverse solutions, experiment with different communication styles, and tune into the evolving needs of my stakeholders. By adopting this flexible and broad-minded approach, I was able to address challenges more creatively and effectively.
  • Not Owning the Outcome: By keeping a steady perspective, I could concentrate on the journey rather than fixating solely on the destination. In an organization of hundreds or thousands, it's crucial to recognize that many aspects of change management are beyond one's direct influence. Focusing on the elements within my control enabled me to effectively manage my time, apply my efforts more strategically, and maintain a positive mindset.

With the initial training phase behind us, more opportunities and challenges lie ahead. Automation will ramp up throughout this year as we eagerly anticipate the CoE's transformative potential.

Fostering Resilience through Personal Growth

I learned many important lessons throughout this journey.

• The Unique Nature of Change Management: While analytics has extensive learning resources, the journey of change management demands a unique approach for each organization. Although foundational concepts are valuable, the full depth of understanding change management is achieved through practical experiences, introspection, and open-mindedness.
  • Focus on Solving Stakeholder Problems: I'm always tempted to over-engineer solutions to deliver the most sophisticated product possible. However, there are better approaches to solving stakeholders' problems. Instead, I've learned to shift the focus from my ego to collaboratively delivering what and how it is needed. This shift allows me to partner with others better and apply my time and talent more strategically.
  • The Balance of Ambition and Reality: Dreaming big is essential, but so is understanding the limitations of the operating reality. This duality of aspiration and practicality is challenging. To find comfort in being "in the middle" of the journey, I focus on each step taken, no matter how small. I celebrate each email, presentation, solution built, or ally gained as progress from the current operating reality to the goal.
  • Measuring and Communicating Operational Readiness: Assessing an organization's readiness and willingness for change is critical. Refrain from assuming that change will be embraced no matter how obvious the benefits are. This readiness affects the pace and approach of the change management process.

These lessons are instrumental in shaping a comprehensive approach to change management that balances technical prowess with a deep understanding of organizational dynamics and human psychology.

Strategies to Avoid Burnout and Stay Resilient

While driving significant change and innovation, having strategies in place to avoid burnout is crucial. These practices have helped sustain me throughout the implementation of corporate change.

• Knowing Your 'Why': Grasping and aligning with the underlying motivations behind your endeavors can be a powerful source of inspiration. I'm energized by contributing to others' career development. Their enthusiasm, particularly when encountering discoveries or breakthroughs, is contagious and further fuels my drive. Moreover, simplifying and streamlining work for others, thereby granting them more time for personal and family commitments, is profoundly rewarding. Your "why" can sustain you as you weary from mounting challenges.
  • Practicing Mindfulness: Regularly reflecting on my mental and emotional state to make micro-adjustments that bolster my day has been vital. If distracted, I may need to change tasks, take a break, or put on music. If excited, I'll reflect on and embrace what's creating that positive emotion. If stressed, I may work extra hours or find tasks to delegate. The outcomes may differ for others, but consistent self-reflection optimizes the chance of success – and staying sane!
  • Regulating Emotions: Recognizing and managing negative emotions is essential. Feelings of negativity, cynicism, frustration, hopelessness, or impatience burn me out quicker than stress. These emotions, if left unchecked, threaten the success of any initiative, as they undermine the patience and perseverance required. To combat this, I reflect on why these feelings are occurring and what practical steps can be taken to address them. This approach shifts my focus from dwelling on the problem to actively seeking solutions.

These daily practices increase my likelihood of success by sustaining my resilience as I navigate change management through digital transformation with Alteryx.

Conclusion

The experiences at Randstad and BDO exemplify the transformative potential of Alteryx in driving operational impact and fostering digital transformation. However, while crucial, selecting technology is just one aspect of a successful change management strategy. The technology must align with organizational dynamics that encompass strategy and people. 

Personal resilience is a superpower for sustaining change management. The ability to outlast resistance increases the likelihood of success. The following daily practices have bolstered my resilience.

• Patience is the most crucial element. Often, more is required than can be imagined.
  • Mindfulness is foundational for all aspects of resilience.
  • Perspective is critical to staying centered rather than overemphasizing particular moments.
  • Reflect on your "why" to remember why you were motivated to choose the journey.
  • Celebrating the journey rather than solely focusing on the destination offers solace along the way.
  • Focusing on what's in your control allows you to align time and emotion effectively.
  • Reduce ego and focus on solving stakeholders' problems to gain allies.
  • Regulate negative emotions to help outlast resistance. 
  • Be open-minded because the path to success is rarely straight and requires adaptability.

Every challenge is unique and requires unique solutions. I hope my experiences offer insights and consideration to those undertaking change management. 

Please follow me on Medium if you'd like to read more, or reach out to me on LinkedIn. And stay tuned for an Alter Everything podcast episode on this topic in mid-March!